Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Jaycation

I am writing this post in hopes that it is not a complete mistake and waste of time. I have just returned to work after two days off and with the intention of leaving early today for an interview for another job. I also have this little note off in the corner of my vision that indicates to me that I might actually have work to do today. Which is only unfortunate since I dedicated this shift to preparing for an interview I haven't given a single thought to, and of course writing about myself! But I am going to go ahead and rely on the fact that I never run out of time at this job and I am pretty good at getting my shit together, so why not today, right?

THE reason I have not given my interview, for a job that I would really love to have, a single thought is because I have been out of society for a while.

As you may have noticed from my previous posts, I felt as if I was beginning to lose my mind a bit at work, and I definitely was in need of a mental break (despite my job demanding no mental work from me it is surprisingly mentally exhausting). I was happily taken four hours out of Boston into the woods in Jay, Vermont. Some people who live out there, own a lot of land where they ski and snowboard in the winter and just about everything else the rest of the year. I was given no information about what and where I was going to except that it was some festival in Vermont at this place in Jay.

SIDE NOTE: I just took a massive break. As it turns out, I can't write this post with things hanging over my head. However, ANOTHER thing to say in the interview, I get ma shit done. Whew, I feel good.

ANYWAYS, we had to spread people out among a couple of cars in order to drive up the unpaved roads without bottoming out the car or something. So it was very much in the middle of no where. Once I arrived I felt like I was in a mix of a festival I went to with my family when I was young, Live Oak Festival and camping at Big Sur.















Except this place was much less structured and a lot more ragey. Unfortunately I only managed to capture about four pictures (none of which are above, they are still on the camera. The pictures above are Live Oak and Big Sur so you can TRY and imagine a ragey fusion of the two). But, from what I have pieced together, my picture taking in Jay probably went like this:

"Ah, this place is so awesome, fuck it, I have to take pictures" (start just snapping photos from exactly where I am sitting in the car without rolling down the windows or bothering to wait for something to actually photograph)
"Oh shit, my memory card is full! Guys, my memory card is full! This is weird, I haven't emptied this memory card like since before London, that's practically a year and a half. I have NEVER deleted a picture" (I then started deleting pictures from the beginning of the card, which is where I suppose I left off because the next time I opened my camera it was in the beginning of my trip to London, with a few scenery shots beforehand.)

We started drinking shortly after arriving (which might explain the shitty pictures, and when I say might, I am just being modest, it most definitely is. I also have this weird awkwardness about taking pictures. I never want to be that freak who is out photographing everything instead of enjoying it. This is especially unfortunate because I ALWAYS wish I had pictures to look at since one of my fave activities is reminiscing, and reminiscing is infinitely better with pictures).

Here is a picture I just found on my phone:


BUT back to my point, after setting up camp, we then headed to this awesome place to swim. It was on a river with a waterfall that was about 15 feet high that poured into a pool of water probably about ten feet deep at least. There were rocks and cliffs all around so you could jump into the pool from anywhere from 10 feet to 30 feet. It was an amazing place. There was also underwater tunnels in this little watering hole. Despite the freezing water I was surprised to find myself jumping in and going through the tunnels (despite being terrified and confident that I was going to drown and get stuck under the tunnel. I ended up with someone leading and someone following, ha).

That night they had, I think, about four DJs that were just blasting their music because there was no one around to be bothered by the sound. There were fires going everywhere and you could hear the music from just about everywhere on the property. It was sick, the music was sick, and I wish that everyone I know and love could have been there to enjoy it. It was a weekend that was definitely necessary to my mental health.

As I mentioned before, I had already taken two days off of work for a camping trip that was originally going to overlap this Vermont trip until I decided to go on the Vermont trip and do the camping trip after. However, Jay VT kicked my butt and I needed Monday and Tuesday as comedown days. I chilled all day Monday and got my shit back together for a real day of real life today (interviewin' AND grocery shoppin', doesn't get too much more responsible than that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment