Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A full time job of maintaining my sanity

Some days I feel like I can handle my job and other days I feel like it just defeats me. However, I emphasize the phrase "feel like I can handle my job". It does make a huge difference. My job is manageable and I can handle it, but mentally conquering a day full of nothing and no one is a job in and of itself.

My current job is as a receptionist at an old snooty law firm in downtown Boston. My one and only job duty (dooooodie) is to answer the phone. Furthermore, all I have to do from there is ask who is calling and then alert the lawyer and hang up. So I probably have approximately 30 minutes of my 8 hour day taken up by my work. It takes all of 5-10 seconds to answer and transfer a call.

With that in mind, finding things to do to entertain myself is my actual full time job and it is rough and occasionally emotionally traumatizing! I am, thankfully, allowed to bring my computer to work because the only other electronics at my desk are the phone and the type writer (which I do have to use to make labels....absurd. They created courier as a font for a reason.)

On good days, I come in motivated to do something productive. I'll think, "Woooo! I am going to apply to jobs today!" or "I think I will manage my finances!" (which, btw, does not take too long either, there is not much to manage) or, more importantly, "I think I will write a blog where I can just talk about my self all day long". Occasionally I attempt to be really productive and do work on this website I Stumbled Upon called Amazon Mechanical Turk: www.mturk.com. On this website you do menial little tasks that a computer could not do and they will pay you anywhere from $.01 to $.50!!!! I keep thinking to myself, "this is definitely going to pay off soon. I am going to be so pleased because I am making money while making money and now I can justify all of the things I spend money on that I absolutely shouldn't.".................The reality of the situation is, the tasks are painfully dull and usually freak my computer out, and after doing 13 different tasks, I am only at $1.46. BUT THATS NOT IMPORTANT, what's important is that I am being productive.

There are other days, and by other days I mean most other days, I'd say 3 out of 5, where getting through the day seems impossible. I will have tragically made it into work 10 minutes early and feel as if I have been sitting at my desk for at least an hour and I check the clock and it is only 8:59, not even the start time of my shift. I freak out a little, and desperately try and think of something FUN and PRODUCTIVE in an attempt to keep my mind from completely over analyzing every detail in my life until I drive myself absolutely mad and I am convinced that I am wasting away my life and I never can or will be happy, then I'll cry at lunch, come back to my desk and watch SVU. . . . . . . . . . okay, well I guess that is a little dramatic, but I am also not saying it has never happened.

In conclusion, I need a new job, and I would like a new brain. One that preferably has an off switch. If I can't get either of those I would like some good suggestions of what to do for 8 hours every day sitting alone at my desk. I need some new shows because I have blasted through a lot already, I am up to date on the currently running seasons and I am still holding out on not watching True Blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment