Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

No Words

So, I was just sitting at my desk, mindlessly switching between facebook, stressing about my negative money situation and at the same time attempting to secretively watch Entourage, when the phone rang. The phone ringing is not something unusual since my one and only duty at this job is to answer the phone. So I paused Entourage, and answered the phone:

Me: "Thank you for calling ______"
Caller: Hi, how are you today?
Me: I am good, how are you?
Caller: I'm good, may I ask who I am speaking to
(this normally irritates the shit out of me since all I do is answer and transfer calls, it really does not matter that you are speaking to me, I should be asking you that question. But, because I am such a professional, I respond:)
Me: This is Julia
Caller: Hi Julia, this is Evan.
Me: Hello...
Evan: I came in last week and saw you working. You were busy talking on the phone at the time. But you looked so nice and professional.
Me: (starting to shake and freak out a little because this man sounds anything but young) Oh, well unfortunately I don't really remember you...
Evan: Well you were busy at the time, but I was just wondering if you wanted to go to coffee with me sometime.
Me: Ohhh, well I am flattered but actually. . . .
Evan: . . . You don't sound flattered (what the fuck?!)
Me: I am flattered but this just seems completely inappropriate since I am at work right now (and, not to mention, tying up the phone lines which interferes with my sole responsibility of answering the phones)
Evan: Well can I call you on your cell phone?
Me: I'm sorry, this just doesnt seem....

And then he just hangs up on me!

WTF

So many things are wrong with this. While part of me thinks, "oooo how flattering, some dude wanted to ask me out purely by my professional demeanor at work and lovely looks." But then I am also forced to think that he is simply mistaking me for the temp that covered for me on Wednesday after I drunkenly slept through my alarm and then drunkenly called in sick (a whole other story).

Then I have to ask myself why am I even wasting time being flattered or stressing about if he's got the right girl since he is OBVIOUSLY a weirdo, who definitely sounded old. My only grasp at normalcy for this situation is that perhaps he was a courier, and if he was, then I made a mistake in saying No, because I am weirdly attracted to all of the weird ass couriers who come in.

I guess now I have something to talk about after work other than the usual, hyperbole and a half is a HIGH-larious blog and I have blasted through every single episode of Rescue Me, United States of Tara and any other show I have latched onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment